You have probably seen your friends post about the monthly and/or yearly reading challenges that they participate in. Have you ever wondered, “Where do I find these challenges?” If so, this post is for you! We’ve gathered a list of current, ongoing reading challenges as well as ones that will be starting within the coming days. For the most part, any of these reading challenges can be changed to meet your specific needs. Feel free adjust the challenges as you see fit.
- Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge: started January 1, 2020 and ends December 31, 2020
– There are 24 prompts to complete over the course of a year. Book Riot recommends that you read about 2 books a month.
– There is also a Goodreads group that you join can if you decide to participate in the challenge. The group includes topics that are specific to the challenge as well as general bookish topics that you can discuss with others who like to read.
- Little Inklings Design Reading Challenge: started January 1, 2020 and ends December 31, 2020
– This challenge was originally found in Little Inklings Design’s Always Fully Booked reading planner (currently sold out; the planner for 2021 will go on sale in the fall). It includes 40 prompts to help you diversify your reading throughout the year. Use #AFBREADINGCHALLENGE2020 on Instagram or other social media accounts to track and share your progress.
– The above link will allow you to access the reading challenge as well as a coloring page. Both are free to download.
- A-to-Z Reading Challenge: started January 1, 2020 and ends December 31, 2020
– The goal of this reading challenge is to read a book that starts with every letter of the alphabet (more information is provided in the above link). Examples would be: Aurora Rising (could count for A), The Magic Misfits (could count for M), and Diamond & Dawn (could count for D).
– If you want the extra challenge, you can also read a book written by authors with first names or last names that are A-to-Z. Examples would be: Stephanie Garber (could count for S or G), VE Schwab (could count for V or S), Jay Kristoff (could count for J or K), and Amie Kaufman (could count for A or K).
- Popsugar 2020 Challenge: started January 1, 2020 and ends December 31, 2020
– There are 40 prompts, with 10 additional, advanced prompts for those who want an extra challenge. There is a wide variety of different prompts to complete.
- Shelf Stuff Summer Challenge: started May 4, 2020 and ends August 2, 2020
– Every week, Shelf Stuff selects a book for participants to read. Shelf Stuff allows you to read an excerpt from the book on their website, but you will need to buy or borrow a copy from your library.
– Upon finishing the book, you are asked to take a quiz. Each time that you take a quiz, you earn an entry for their grand prize, which will be awarded at the end of the reading challenge. The grand prize includes a $150 gift card, a Shelf Stuff tote bag, and a monthly VIP box of middle grade ARCs.
- Scholastic Summer Read-A-Palooza: started May 4, 2020 and ends September 4, 2020
– Hosted through Scholastic’s Home Base, this summer reading challenge is designed for children. Home Base allows children to track their reading and complete related activities to earn rewards as well as donate books to those in need. The above link provides additional details about the challenge, including the ability to download reference guides (i.e. login instructions, general information).
- Fox and Wit Reading Challenge: starts May 15, 2020 and ends December 31, 2020
– You’re able to choose from three teams: Novel Newts (read 3 books for each category), Chapter Chasers (read 5 books for each category), or Rabid Readers (read 10 books for each category). Once you have selected a team, you just add your social media information and your TBR list to the spreadsheet (link is found in Fox and Wit’s blog post).
– You do have the option to list 3 DNR Reserve books on the off chance that you decide to not finish a book. In their blog post (linked above), Fox and Wit explains how DNR Reserve books will work.
– See the image (from Fox and Wit’s Instagram) below to learn how to sign up. Also, you can check out their blog post to more about the reading challenge.
– Rachael will be participating in the Fox and Wit Reading Challenge over on our Instagram page. Make sure to follow us to see her progress!
Be sure to let us know if you’re participating in any of the above reading challenges. We would love to hear about your progress! Below, we have included a list of the reading challenges that we are participating in. Each month, we’ll do individual monthly wrap-ups that will include an update on our progress for each of the challenges.
– Challenges that Danielle is participating in: Little Inklings Design Reading Challenge and A-to-Z Challenge.
– Challenges that Rachael is participating in: Fox and Wit Reading Challenge, Little Inklings Design Reading Challenge, A-to-Z Challenge, and Popsugar 2020 Challenge.
Feel free to contact us if you know of other reading challenges that we should add to the list.
(Danielle and Rachael)