As 2021 begins, we thought it would be a good idea to share some self-care ideas with everyone. The holidays just ended and we’re all struggling with COVID-19, so taking some time for yourself is always a good idea. These ideas are based on how we take care of ourselves and our mental health during these trying times.
We know this post is a little different than our typical content, but we wanted to make sure everyone practices self-care and takes care of their own mental health. Stay healthy out there, everyone!
- Reading: Curl up in your bed, your couch, or your favorite reading chair and read a good book. You can immerse yourself in another world and live vicariously through the main characters.
- Taking a bath: You can add in a bubble bath solution or a bath bomb for a truly relaxing experience. If you’re not able to take a bath, hot showers are a great alternative.
- Taking a nap: Everyone thinks taking a nap is not a form of self-care, but if you’re not sleeping well, take that nap. You’ll feel so much better afterward.
- Unplugging from your devices: Taking time away from your devices helps you to recharge and relax without constantly worrying about what everyone else is doing.
- Going for a walk: Getting some fresh air and going for a walk is always a great idea. By going outside, you’ll get some well-needed vitamin D and the fresh air can also help clear your head. Just make sure the weather is cooperative for the day that you wish to go outside!
- Going to a bookstore: Ever heard of retail therapy? This suggestion uses that idea, but instead, you can buy books. Just remember that if you set a budget, stick to that budget.
A Personal Note: I was in therapy over the spring and summer of 2020. It’s a long story that doesn’t need to be rehashed, but my therapist said something that really resonated with me. She told me that I should treat myself whenever I finish a goal. The treat could be anything you want: big or small. By treating yourself, you’re reinforcing that you can meet your goals and get where you want to be. Your goal can be anything you want as well. It could be reading a certain amount of books a month, reading a certain amount of pages/chapters a week, etc. As long as you meet your goal, treat yourself!
How do you practice self-care? If you have other self-care ideas that we didn’t list, please write them in the comments and we’ll add them to our list with proper credit.