Near the end of each month, you probably begin to see several wrap-up posts from people within the bookish community. In these wrap-up posts, an individual shares all the books that he or she has read for a particular month. Have you ever wondered how someone is able to read so many books in a single month? The answer is simple. Those posters are able to read so many books because they are maximizing their reading time. Below, we provide some tips on how you can maximize your own reading time as well.
- Dedicate time to reading. This tip is probably the most important one! You have to set aside time to read everyday. It could be 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or even 60 minutes, but you need to have a designated time for reading. The allotted time should fit into your daily schedule, and you need to be willing to commit to reading during that specific time each day. We have found that the best time to read is often just prior to falling asleep.
- Minimize distractions. Silence your cell phone! If you are reading on your phone, an iPad, or any other smart device, then perhaps consider turning off your notifications for the duration of your designated reading time. By silencing your cell phone and/or turning off your notifications, you minimize the opportunities for you to get distracted from what you’re reading.
- Set reading goals and/or complete reading challenges. Setting reading goals and/or completing reading challenges can also be good motivators to read. On January 1st of each year, Goodreads allows its users to set their yearly reading goal. The platform then provides periodic updates on your progress towards achieving that goal. If you’re feeling adventurous, on the other hand, perhaps consider tackling a reading challenge or two. A quick internet search will allow you to see the various reading challenges that are available. Choose a reading challenge that appeals to your interests.
- Read from a variety of formats (i.e. physical books, eBooks, and/or audiobooks). Many books are now available in a variety of formats, so choose the type that fits your individual lifestyle. If you have a long commute, then perhaps you could listen to an audiobook while driving to and from work. If you take public transportation to work, then perhaps could you read a physical book or an eBook during your commute. Or maybe you are able to read multiple books at the same time and your chosen format could be determined by your unique circumstances in that particular moment. Whatever your preference, make sure to take advantage of the ability to read from a variety of formats.
- Always have access to a book. You never know when you will come across a few minutes of downtime, so readily having access to a book will allow you to fill your spare time with reading. Because books are now available in a variety of formats, it is easier than ever to have access to a book when you are not home. Click here to see our previous “Books and Bookish Apps” blog post. The later half of the post discusses some of the specific bookish apps that can be accessed through Kindle, Apple, and Android devices.
Everyone has different reading habits, but there are many ways to increase the amount of books that you read in a month, or even a year. Although we provide just a few suggestions on how to maximize your reading time above, there are many more ways that you can do so. What are your reading habits? How do you maximize your reading time? Share your thoughts in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!